- 2 lbs. (1 kg.) chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. each ground cumin, ground paprika
- 1 tsp. each cinnamon, ground ginger, turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. harissa
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 (19 oz./ 561 mL) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 carrots, chopped in 2-inch pieces
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 c. dried apricots
- 1 (28 oz./ 825 mL) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 3 slices preserved lemon (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped parsley
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- Grated zest of half a lemon
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and brown chicken thighs for 2 minutes on each side.
2. Place browned chicken into slow cooker, and stir in all remaining ingredients.
3. Heat in slow cooker for 8 hours on low setting, or 4 hours on high.
4. Remove from slow cooker, sprinkle with toppings, and serve with couscous, rice or flatbread.